Temple In Khajuraho
Khajuraho Temple - Work of Blessed Hands
A cluster of temples in the small town of Khajuraho has become the greatest attribute of tourism in Madhya Pradesh. They are the unparalleled masters when it comes to alluring tourist from all regions of the world. The temples were built by the rulers of Chandela dynasty in a short span of hundred years between 950 AD to 1050 AD. It is said that there were around 85 temples in all, but after thousands of years, only 22 odd still stand. After being lost in flow of time, they were rediscovered by British officer T.S Burt in the year 1838. Since then, millions have visited these temples just to be left speechless and hooked to the beauty, charm and probably detailing of these one of a kind temples. The town by the virtue of the temples has been recognized as a world heritage site by UNESCO. What brings hordes of tourist to explore Khajuraho temples are the erotic sculptures that cover the walls of many temples here. The erotic crafts only make up a small section of what these temples have to offer. The major share of the carvings is of Gods, deities and depiction of day to day activities of people in that era. The temples have been divided into three sections according to their location in the town. The western Group, The Southern Group and the Eastern Group.
The Western Group
This group is centrally located and has the most splendid and magnificent set of temples. The main temple is Kandriya Mahadeo which is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Reaching to a height of 31 m, it is the largest temple in Khajuraho. The temple has exquisite carvings of deities and celestial lovers on the main shrine. Lakshmana Temple is another temple that is in the group and is probably the oldest temple in the town. It is famous for the exquisite three headed statue of Lord Vishnu' incarnations. The other main temples are Devi Jagadambi and Vishwanatha Temple.
The Eastern Group
This group contains few of the best and most important Jain Temples along with Hindu Temples. The carvings and structures in this group are nothing less than what you will find in western group temples. Parsvanath temple is the biggest Jain Temple. The sculptures on the outer walls depicts of people engaged in their daily chores. The statue of Parsvanath, inside the sanctum sanctorum was only installed in the year 1860. Adinatha and Ghantai Temple are the other main Jain Temples in the group. The three Hindu temples in the group are Brahma Temple, Vamana Temple and Javari Temple. The walls of these temples have the major share of erotic sculptures.
The Southern Group
Chaturbhuj Temple and Duladeo Temple make up the Southern group. The temples fall deep into the village and are farthest from the road. The Chaturbhuj Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and has an admirable statue of his in the Sanctum.
Few similar temples have also been found some kilometers away in other villages but they are not counted in any of the groups. However you should visit these temples as well as they too are equally appealing. You can visit the temples at any time of the year but the best time is just after the rains when the dust in the atmosphere would have subsided. Cleaned by the rain, the beauty of the temples increases two folds. Prefer September to March period.